When I was a kid, my mom used to make potato patties on the regular. These little pillows were a mix of my favorite things-soft, fluffy potatoes and cheesy goodness-fried to perfection. I’ve tried to veganize these in the past but failed-miserably. Thanks to the VeganEgg by Follow Your Heart, I was able to enjoy these once again!
If you want to try these at home, here’s how you do it:
5-6 Yukon gold potatoes (this will yield about 14 patties depending on size)
FYH’s VeganEgg-prepare the equivalent of HALF of one vegan egg prepared with water.
1/2c or so of your fave vegan cheese. I used Daiya‘s mozzarella cheese.
Salt and Pepper
Flour for dredging+1 teaspoon
Cast Iron pan
Oil for frying
Toppings-Sour cream and fresh Pico de Gallo salsa!
And here’s how you do it:
- Chop potatoes into cubes and add to saucepan. Boil until cooked through. Drain and set aside until potatoes are cooled.
- Once potatoes are cooled, mash potatoes until creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat frying pan and oil over medium heat. Oil should be about an inch deep.
- While oil is heating, add cheese to potatoes and 1 tsp of flour to potatoes. Mix well.
- Add vegan egg and stir until combined well. The potato dough should stick together well enough to form potato balls (about golf ball size)
- GENTLY flatten the potato balls. Don’t make them too thin, you’ll want them to puffy little pillows. If you make them too thin, they’ll fall apart.
- Just before adding patties to hot oil, dredge them in flour on both sides. You want to get a nice coating on them!
- Fry until brown on one side. While cooking, you can use a spoon to put some of the oil on the exposed size of the patty. Flip carefully and cook on the other side. You’ll want a nice dark brown on them.
- Place cooked patties on paper towel lined dish and repeat until all patties are cooked.
- Serve immediately with your fave toppings. Rice is also a great side dish for these!
Give it a try and let me know what you think!