A local restaurant that we go to has weekly specials. One of their specials was called “Popeye’s Tacos” and my hubby loves them! There is nothing fancy about them but the flavors are so good. I decided to try to replicate these at home and they were a success! Here is what you’ll need to make them at home:
1 Package Extra Firm Tofu, drained and pressed
8oz Baby Spinach leaves (I used a small clamshell package but you can adjust more or less depending on your love of spinach)
1 TBSP oil
1 TBSP Earth Balance
Corn tortillas for serving
Your favorite salsa (I used a salsa verde I had on hand but a red salsa would also do lovely here)
Fresh chopped cilantro for sprinkling.
1. Shred the tofu using a box grater. You can use a handheld grater but make sure the holes are big. Don’t attempt to use a zester, that won’t work.
2. Heat cast iron pan over medium high heat until hot. Once the pan is hot, add in oil and Earth Balance butter. Allow oil and butter to get to temperature.
3. Once oil and Earth Balance are hot, drop in shredded tofu. Season with salt and pepper and give it a stir.
4. Let the tofu cook on one side, without stirring, until you see a nice golden color and crisp form. Once you see the golden color, flip using a thin spatula. Allow to cook on second side using the same method.
5. Once tofu is cooked, add in spinach and stir to wilt down the spinach and heat through.
6. Fill your tortillas with the spinach and tofu mix, top with salsa and any other toppings and enjoy!
These tacos would pair well with breakfast potatoes or rice and beans for an easy dinner!