I love that there are so many vegan meat alternatives! Everyone has their own personal favorites, too. Most of the time I cook with Gardein at home because I have found Beyond Meat a bit difficult to work with. It’s tasty when I have prepared for me but I just can’t seem to cook it right at home…until now. After a few attempts, I have found the best way to prepare it, especially for taquitos, though the possibilities are endless. Here is how I did it:
- 1 Package Beyond Meat Chicken Strips (any variety)
- 1 Poblano chile
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 1/4 onion
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 Serrano chile
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- Cilantro (about a handful)
- Corn tortillas
- Oil for frying
- Garnishes i.e. guacamole, salsa verde, pico de gallo salsa, non dairy sour cream, etc.
- Roast the Poblano chile on the stove top until blackened on all side. Once it’s fully blackened, wrap the chile in a cloth towel or plastic bag and allow it to sweat for 5-10 minutes. Then, peel the charred skin off the chile, remove the stem and cut a slit in the side to remove the seeds. Set aside.
- In a medium pot, add Beyond Meat strips, broth, tomato, onion and Serrano chile. Bring to boil. Boil until the strips are swollen and are very tender.
- Once the strips are ready, use a slotted spoon to remove the strips. Shred the strips using two forks until all the strips are finely shredded. Put the shredded strips into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Using the slotted spoon, remove the tomato, onion and serrano chile from the pot and put them in your blender jar. Add the Poblano chile, cilantro, salt and lime juice. Puree until almost smooth.
- Add the salsa to the shredded meat and mix thoroughly.
- Add oil (about an inch) to pan and heat over medium heat. While this is heating, warm up your tortillas.
- When tortillas are warmed, fill with meat and roll up. You’ll want to work in batches here. I usually put about 5 taquitos in my pan at once. Place the taquitos, seam side down, in the hot oil. Cook until crispy on all sides (be sure to turn them to get a uniform crisp.)
- Remove cooked taquitos from pan and place on paper towel to drain while you cook the rest of the taquitos.
- Top with your favorite garnishments and enjoy!
This filling would work well with various recipes like tamales, enchiladas or use it as a base for other fillings.